We dare you to take a look at your current bank balance and add a couple of zeros to it. Actually, add lots of zeros. This may probably be a stretch of imagination to most, but it is the reality of others. Forget dreaming about being a millionaire. While this is cool, South Africans are so over that.
According to the “Forbes’ 2017 List of the World’s Richest People”, at least 8 South Africans appeared on that list of billionaires (and we’re talking US Dollars). Just in case you want to see it written out to get the actual shock therapy (and hopefully magnify your dreams to new heights): $1 000 000 000,00 USD (1bn USD) is equal to about R12 627 200 000,00!
Who are SA’s billionaires?
Gone are the days of scrambling for examples of the rich across all of Africa with the hopes of getting some representation on the global map. Right here in Mzansi (South Africa), we have our own billionaire narratives. What is worth noting is that these SA billionaires are predominantly male. Truth be told, according to the same Forbes’ list, the South Africans mentioned are all male.
Yet with the emancipation of women on the rise, it is just a matter of time until women join in. It is also worth mentioning that although not all are self-made billionaires, one can still give them credit for maintaining and/or growing their worth. Below are the South Africans who made it to “Forbes’ 2017 List of the World’s Richest People”.
- Nicky Oppenheimer (Net worth $7.0bn)
- Johann Rupert (Net worth $6.1bn)
- Christoffel Wiese (Net worth $5.6bn)
- Koos Bekker (Net worth $2.1bn)
- Allan Gray (Net worth $1.8bn)
- Patrice Motsepe (Net worth $1.8bn)
- Stephen Saad (Net worth $1.2bn)
- Jannie Mouton (Net worth $1.0bn)
Top qualities of millionaires and billionaires
What qualities set apart the super-rich from their many counterparts all over the world who are struggling to make ends meet? Make no mistake, they are amongst the glaring minority as many other people will most likely never see so many digits in their bank balance.
Here are some of the most noteworthy traits that millionaires and billionaires often possess.
- They think out of the box and are not too proud to do “menial work” to earn money
- They are not interested in short-term gratification, but would rather have multiple jobs and save when others are spending
- They know how to make money work for them through investments, rather than merely working for money
- They are risk-takers of note and trendsetters
- They think differently and have a different spirit and attitude to the masse.
This Youth Month (June), you owe it to yourself to maximise on your youth and be the best version of yourself that you can be. You don’t have to wait until you are old to be a #TeenBoss who is making waves and ready to take over the future.
The future looks bright, especially for those who prepare for it and do their part in getting ready. Nothing is stopping you. You can do it. We believe in you. Start believing in yourself.